From the Heartland

This is my soap box, on these pages I publish my opinions on firearms and any other subject I feel like writing about.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Trick or Treat ......... it is Election Eve

I have not had much too say about politics during this years election campaign I linked to and let Street Sweeper over at Leavenworth Street do that and he has done a very good job of it as well.

It doesn't take much guess work to know which candidates that I support, but I want to mention one in particular that I think has done the job we hired him to do.

John Gale

John Gale is seeking re-election as Secretary of State. No one seems to pay much attention to that office until there are elections or controversial ballot measures, then the Office of Secretary of State is front and center.

With the Kate Whitek controversy and the gambling fiasco that office and its occupant John Gale have been front and center for several months now.

During that time Secretary Gale has had to make several very controversial decisions. To say the least and depending which side of the issue you are on they have not necessarily been popular ones.

That aside there can not be one person that can say that John has made these decisions lightly.

I had the pleasure of John Gales company this afternoon and we discussed some of the ballot issues he has had to deal with. I am convinced that Secretary Gale and his office fully researched the Constitution, State Statutes and Case Law in determining his decisions.

No they were not popular with everyone, there is no way they could have been but Secretary Gale issued decisions that were consistent with Nebraska State Law.

As far as I am concerned John Gale has done an outstanding job and tomorrow I intend to do my part in seeing that he is re-elected.

As most of my readers know I have not had the kindest words for Senator Chuck Hagel in the past but I was able to speak briefly with him this afternoon as well. There is some middle ground we can agree on though and this election some of that ground.

I have been torn all year as to who I would vote for;

Nelson or Ricketts.

As much as I respect the job that Ben Nelson has done as Senator there were things he did as Governor that I just can not lay to rest. Yes Ben Nelson has done a pretty fair job for Nebraska in the Senate, but he is still beholding to the Democratic Party. Ben Nelson is first and for most a Democrat and I do not want to see Harry Reid as Senate Majority leader.

This has not been an easy decision for me but Pete Ricketts will get my vote.

I also spent a few moments with John Brunig, whom I supported in his last election and after some discussion we agreed that we need to meet and discuss some of the firearms issues that are current event news in Nebraska.

As to most of the rest of the ballot;

Jeff Fortenberry - Representative District One - I have known Jeff for a number of years and think he has done a very good job.

Dave Heineman for Governor

Jim McClurg for NU Regent - I met Jim for the first time today but learned that we have some mutual acquaintances in common. Acquaintances that I respect enough that on that alone Jim would get my vote.

Mike Foley for State Auditor

Shane Osborne for State Treasurer

There are others of course but seeing these people attain or keep office would make my day.

As for the ballot initiatives I likely won't vote for;

1. 421 Video Keno Gambling - There just seems to be too much out of state pressure on this issue and I am not comfortable with that.

2. 423 State Spending Limit - Not that I think this is a bad idea, again I am not comfortable with all out of state pressure and interest.

As for Referendum Measure 422 I support the repeal of Legislative Bill 126 that forced many smaller schools to merge into larger districts.

Background - There were 26 students in my high school graduating class, in fact there were only 250 kids in the entire 7 through 12 grade school. As a product of one I truly understand the value of smaller school districts.

That wraps it up folks, as I mentioned earlier I have been relatively silent this year but being the eve of the election I felt compelled to speak my piece.

"There are 230,000 more registered Republicans than Democrats in the state of Nebraska, if we can not get our candidates elected then as a party we have failed them and we have failed ourselves" .... Chuck Hagel, Lincoln, Nebraska November 6th 2006